Friday, March 1, 2013

The Next Big Thing

The Next Big Thing Hop: the traveling blog that asks authors whom they consider the NEXT BIG THING, and then has them pass along the questions for those authors to answer in their blogs.

I'm unbelievably honored to have been tagged by, Sofia Quintero, author of the young adult novel, EFRAIN'S SECRET and forth coming novel SHOW and PROVE. You can read an excerpt of SHOW and PROVE Here. These are the rules: Answer ten questions about your current Work in Progress on your blog. Tag five writers/bloggers and add links to their pages so we can hop along to them next.

What is the working title of your book?

The working title for my next middle grade novel is, SAVING BABY DOE, due out in 2014.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I'm a big time nurturer so setting out to protect the most vulnerable of us-- babies, came as natural as breathing for me.

What genre does your book fall under?

Like my first book, THE TROUBLE WITH HALF A MOON, this book is Realistic Fiction.

Which actors would you choose to play your character in a movie rendition?

My characters, Lionel and Anisa, are Afro-Latino and sadly, there are very few young Hispanic actors out there today who come to mind. I'd love for up and coming unknowns to be cast in these roles. However, I do have someone in mind to play the role of my main character's mother and she is Judy Reyes best known for playing Carla Espinosa in Scrubs. She also starred as Angela in Rashaad Ernesto Green's film, GUN HILL ROAD.

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

Thirteen year old Lionel finds himself stuck between popularity and doing what's right after he and his best friend, Anisa, find an abandoned baby at a construction site.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

SAVING BABY DOE will be published by G.P. Putnam's Sons.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

First drafts usually take me seven to eight months.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

It gives me hives to try and compare my book to others already out there and will only do so if my life depended on it. I hope that's not the case here! I'll just say that when I sit to write I'm not thinking of anything other than my next sentence. Weird? *shrugs* Probably.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I wrote this book because like most people, abandoned babies break my heart. If I could rescue, raise and love every single one of them, I would.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

What I hope will pique the reader's interest in this book is the fact that you are much more capable of doing things than you might think. In the wise words of Mr. Owen, a neighbor of Lionel's, "You'd be surprised at what you're capable of doing when it comes down to the nitty-gritty." This holds true both for adults and teens alike. Sometimes, you just need a little nitty-gritty to get things done.

Below are my tags of other authors:

Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich

Ellen Oh

Torrey Maldonado

Ty Allen Jackson

Tameka Fryer Brown



No comments:

Post a Comment