Sunday, April 19, 2009

Medium or well?

I'm back. and I'm burnt thanks to Carrie Ryan's great book, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, I didn't notice the beautiful breeze on the Puerto Rico beach I was lounging on was actually masking the sun's strength! Yes, I'm well done. Ouch!

Food was awesome and I will miss it. Our hotel, El conquistador, is a gorgeous place. Room was very clean and really comfy. No Puerto Rican food there though, big disappointment. We did find two restaurants five minutes from the hotel that were beyond excellent. Service was excellent as well. If you don't rent a car, which we didn't, you have to get a cab, more like car service. Our driver for most of the time we were there was Carlos Rosa. He was very friendly and very funny. He also plays guitar and sings beautifully. Since I'm Puerto Rican but cannot speak it and have never visited before this trip, he called me a Newyorkrican.

Carlos really helped us enjoy this trip. Not only did he call his kids on his cell phone to pick fresh mangoes off the trees in his backyard for us, he's full of PR's history and can point out all sorts of things including teeny tiny ferns that close up when they're touched and how when you gently tap the seed pods of the Impatient flower it will pop sending small seeds flying. When he placed one into my hand and told me to gently touch it, I had no idea what it was. When it popped, I thought it was a bug and I kinda punched him in the arm. It was a light punch, I swear!

Oh, I embarrassed my kids on the plane ride there. You know how the airlines give you a snack then come around holding garbage bags open for you to toss your stuff into? Well, when they came to us, I had nothing to drop into the bag so I said, "No Trick or Treat." What? I thought it was funny. I don't think the steward (is that what they're called?) got it. He kind of just looked at me with that fake half-a-grin you give someone when you have no idea what they said but you know it was supposed to be something funny. My kids are still talking about it.

I'll post some pictures soon. Now it's pizza time and bed!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an amazing time, Danette! Puerto Rico sounds beautiful, too! I haven't been out the U.S. yet, but I'm hoping one day . . .

    Look forward to seeing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stink! Puerto Rico? I am soooooooooo jealous!!!! Man I love puerto rican food! My favorite thing to get is the roasted pork when I go home to NY and stop by one of the street festivals. shoot my stomach is growling.

    ReplyDelete