Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Home is Where You Make It

I have a new favorite television channel, HGTV. One of my favorite shows is House Hunters and House Hunters International. This show features people who are looking to move either out of the country or around the corner.

The people involved are taken around to different areas and shown houses that fit their criteria. Then they choose one of the houses shown. It is so interesting to see what other parts of the country/world look like and how the people there live. For instance, tonight there was a woman who came from New York City (I believe it was Brooklyn) who wanted to move to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. She was tired of the cold (me too!), the chaos (me too!), and the crowds (you said it, sister!). I was so jealous! She bought a condo on the beach for $125,000. The place was beautiful.

Last week, a couple had been renting a place in Santa Monica California and now wanted to buy there. They had a million dollar budget. Did you know that a million bucks in Santa Monica does not buy much? The places were ridiculous. One “yard” was an L shaped path and that was it. Can you imagine?

Another of my favorites is a show that “stages” your home in order to sell it quickly. People come in, point out all the negatives then help you fix them. I love this show because you really learn a lot about design. I have to admit though, I now walk around my house making note of all the negatives and wonder what the stagers would think of it …

1 comment:

  1. Danette,

    My mother and I love watching these shows, too, especially since our house is up for sale. The one that "stages" your house really does give you a lot to think about in terms of what will appeal to a buyer....I think we probably need them since...our home has been on the market FOR OVER A YEAR (we're in Northern NJ)! Sigh. Hopefully, the market will come back soon.

    ReplyDelete