Monday, April 6, 2009

Chicken Soup for the Soul Man

This past Saturday I attended a Jack Canfield seminar. If you don’t know who he is, he’s co-author of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books. By the way, the first Chicken Soup was rejected over one hundred times. Well, helloooo, persistence.

I read Canfield’s, The Success Principles a couple of years ago and got a lot out of it. If you get the chance check it out.

Back to the seminar. I’ll admit, some of the people I went with were afraid they’d be offered, The Kool-Aid (did you know Kool-Aid was originally called Fruit Smack? Now you do). I figured the only thing I was going to drink was water and as for everything else, I’d take what I wanted and leave the rest as I do in all things.

Here are some of the things Canfield teaches:

Take responsibility for your life and your results. You have to give up blaming others, circumstances, etc., Hold yourself accountable.


Be clear about why you are here- Clarify your purpose.


Focus on what you want, not what you don’t want.


Believe in yourself.


On paper, create effective affirmations. Start with, I am. Use present tense. State it in the positive. Keep it brief. Include an action word ending with, -ing. “I am enjoying my time on Oprah.” (Hee-Hee)


Use the power of visualization.


My favorite- and the first thing I learned from reading Jack Canfield stuff years ago- ASK. Nothing happens until a request is made, an offer is made or an action occurs.


Reject rejection. This should be a every writer’s favorite. When someone says, “No!” you say, “Next!” Say it with me now …

Here are some things I jotted down while listening:


· Act as if.
· Hate weakens you. Negative thoughts about yourself weakens you.
· Don’t concentrate on failures. Learn and MOVE ON. Helloooo, writers …
· Thoughts travel.
· Look for opportunity.
· Success leaves clues.
· Visualize yourself being successful at the thing that makes you uncomfortable.
· Trust when inspiration comes.


I’ll leave you with this quote from General Wesley Clark, Former Head of NATO:

“It doesn’t take any more effort to dream a big dream than it takes to dream a small dream.”

Now, that’s what I’m talkin’ about.


2 comments:

  1. Would never expect a writing post to end with a Wesley Clark quote - Inspiration comes from everywhere!

    ReplyDelete