Monday, March 23, 2009

No Can Do

Most times when I start a story, I have no idea what it will be about. It just takes shape on its own—which can be a scary thing especially when you’re asked what you’re writing at the moment. It’s hard to look someone in the eye, shrug your shoulders and say, “You got me!” or, “Sheesh, how should I know?”

Recently, I tried to work with sort of an outline and even though it was a real jello-y type of an outline, it stopped me dead in my tracks. I rubbed my forehead so much, the smoke detectors went off. Okay, not really, but they were thinking about it.

I guess I’m just a go-with-the-flow kind of person all around. I don’t know what I’m cooking for the week until I’m walking down the grocery store aisles. That explains why I’m always talking to myself while I’m there. But hey, at least I don’t leave my cart in the middle of the aisle while I go roaming around. That's got to count for something, right? And then there's having to get dressed up for a party or a fancy dinner. Don't know what I'm wearing until the very last minute. Works for me but, for my husband? Notttt so much.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! That's how I write too. I "see" the scene like a video and then I write it. I tried to outline my book 4, like my mentor suggested, but I just lost some of the joy of writing by doing it. So I trashed it and just went with the flow, like you. And what'd'ya know? It worked . . . again.
    So, keep on goin' with the flow! We're two alike "fish" in this pond.
    ~Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Story ideas hit me out of the blue. I even had one come to me in the middle of the night and I have no idea where it came from. Fortunately with that one, I was able to make an outline and follow it. But for the most part, if you were to ask me what made me write something -- I'd probably have NO idea. Sad.

    ReplyDelete